BENZYL ALCOHOL (C7H8O)
Benzyl alcohol is typically manufactured through the alkylation of toluene or benzaldehyde with sodium/potassium hydroxide or sodium/potassium benzylate in the presence of an alkylation catalyst. This reaction forms benzyl alcohol as the primary product, along with small amounts of by-products such as benzyl chloride and benzalphenone. Another method involves the reduction of benzyl chloride or benzotrichloride using hydrogen gas in the presence of a metal catalyst such as palladium or platinum.
Appearance: Colorless liquid
Odour: Mild, pleasant odor
Taste: Sharp burning taste
Molecular weight: 108.14 g/mol
Boiling point: 205 °C (401 °F)
Melting point: -15 °C (5 °F)
Density: 1.04 g/cm³ (20 °C)
Viscosity: 0.63 cP (20 °C)
Solubility: Soluble in water, ethanol, and most organic solvents
Flammability: Flammable liquid, with a flash point of 70 °C (158 °F)
- Insoluble in water, ethanol, and most organic solvents.
- Used as an intermediate in the synthesis of various chemicals such as benzyl esters, benzyl benzoate, and benzyl chloride.
- Benzyl alcohol is used as a preservative in cosmetics and personal care products and helps to prevent the growth of bacteria and fungi.
- It functions as a solubilizer and viscosity controlling agent in cosmetic industry.
- Benzyl alcohol is used as a flavoring agent and fragrance in food and beverages.
- It imparts a floral, sweet, and rose-like aroma and flavor to products.
- Benzyl alcohol is commonly used as a preservative in pharmaceutical products, due to its antifungal and antibacterial properties.
- Benzyl alcohol is commonly used as a solvent in the stone finishing industry. It is used to dissolve resins, waxes, and other coatings to prepare the stone surface for polishing and sealing.
- Benzyl alcohol can be used as a cleaner for removing dirt and grime from the surface of the stone, leaving it clean and shiny.
- Benzyl alcohol is used as a neutralizing agent in the production of granite slabs to neutralize any residual acids that may be present in the slabs and to prevent discoloration and other damage to the surface of the stone.
- Use gloves and protective eye wear to avoid skin and eye irritation.
- Avoid inhalation of vapors by working in a well-ventilated area or using a respirator if necessary.
- Store benzyl alcohol in a cool, dry place away from heat sources and flames.
- Keep benzyl alcohol out of reach of children and pets.
- In case of skin contact, wash affected area thoroughly with soap and water.
- In case of eye contact, rinse eyes thoroughly with water for 15 minutes and seek medical attention if necessary.
- In case of ingestion, seek medical attention immediately.
There are no reviews yet.